Sunday, July 20, 2008

A real call to arms.....

Up until this very morning I had thought that my favourite Wikipedia article was the entry on the neenish tart, which wins this accolade for its public interest, accuracy and the obvious wealth of research that went into it (click on the one cited reference ... it's awesome).

After reading the latest xkcd, however, I have another one. That no-one on the talk page appears to notice the obvious, if unintended, satirical humour in the fact that the pre-amble has tags stating that "This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards" and that "All or part of this article may be confusing or unclear" is itself, I think, note-worthy (although, I really must tip my virtual hat at whoever left the "It seems to me that the added publicity won't hurt this article -- in fact, nearly any edit to it will have no choice but to improve it. For example, the entire "Logocentrism" section could be replaced by "PENIS PENIS PENIS LOL" and it would greatly improve the overall clarity." comment)

What really brings a sense of sorrow to my heart as regards this article, however, is how disappointing the history section is. I was rather hoping that a "find: 'vandal' " type search would reveal a little more than it actually did. To be sure, there have been some noble efforts1..... only not, I feel, nearly enough. For the most part, the 'vandalism' history appears mostly to refer to people trying to link to the xkcd comic in question, or something similar.

And then I thought to myself, well, that something can be done about this.... and, damn it, we're the people to do it. We have but to take the energy we put into our chalking war on that retarded 'we killed god: you don't care' campaign by these people and combine it with both our prior wiki-vandalism cunning and the fact that it's really, really hard for wikipedia to ban ip addresses that correspond to entire frickin' universities. What say you, dear reader? Shall we fuck this page up or what? I dream of a day when it becomes untenable for wikipedia to maintain a 'deconstruction' page consisting of anything more than a brief entry such as:

Deconstruction is a term used in contemporary literary criticism, philosophy, and the social sciences. Originally coined by Jacques Derrida, he apparently took the actual meaning of the word with him to the grave.
A single tear makes its way down my cheek as a contemplate the possibility that my blog may now become a force for good in this world.

1Others .... not so noble, exactly, but cheers Gemma just the same. And who are 'we' to talk here, anyways (I'm talking to you, here Martin)

8 comments:

Nini said...

I like that no-one's commented on this yet. Fitz, I don't think anyone cares.

Andrew said...

I feel a little like George Clooney's character in Three Kings after that speech where he's trying to convince that guy to give him the cars.....

David Barry said...

Stop being mean to Fitz, Nini. I liked this post - it inspired me to read a couple of sentences of the Deconstruction article on Wikipedia.

I just didn't comment.

David Barry said...

Also, the Wikivandalism strategy won't work, because they'll semi-protect (no anonymous edits) or fully lock the article.

Andrew said...

This occurred to me, yeah..... People can still demand that all edits make sense, though.... I challenge anyone to write a clear account of deconstruction that doesn't, by default, read like a parody. I started in this spirit (anonymous hamster) .... but I'll admit it's just not as fun......

Andrew said...

Possibly I could pose as a po-mo "expert" and just make shit up, though......

Nini said...

Do that. No-one will be able to understand it well enough to bring it down. And include lots of po-mo references that may or may not mean the same things that you're saying.

Semi-Protect the Constitution!

Adriana said...

Why did you guys have to ruin this post by commenting?

I thought the lack of comments had a certain poetic justice.