Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The post previously known as ""

I was about to begin this post with : "You probably don't remember this, but", but then I remembered just who my readership was...... Anyways, there was once this episode of Red Dwarf where the crew of said vessel met up with alternate versions of themselves from other dimensions. The humour from said episode deriving from the fact that Rimmer's opposite number turned out to be the Übermensch. I bring this up because I seem to be living with a similar happenstance. Readers may note that in the past I have mentioned that my current supervisor looks like John Bunnett. What I didn't mention before now was that, well, he kind of acts like John Bunnett too.... only with a few crucial differences.

Let's say you're sitting in a seminar or summatt when the speaker makes a statement that seems either innocuous or goes completely over your head. It is not unknown to hear an "ahhhhh" or "cool" emanating from your left such that, with your eyes closed, could fool you into thinking you're sharing a room with Gomer. Then a question will be asked of the speaker by said individual which, at first, no-body really understands. The difference being that, after a similarly long and painful exchange it will invariably turn out that the questioner has actually spotted some fundamental flaw or implication that no-one else did, and isn't merely asking to be convinced, at the freaking end of a Galois theory course, that you can't express all roots of a quintic as radicals.


This leads me to the inescapable conclusion that my supervisor is, by some bizarre cosmic trick, the man that John Bunnett was meant to be.

It's creepy.

11 comments:

Ben said...

That episode of Red Dwarf was great.

Who is John Bunnett?

Dancers_in_Genesis said...

Far away in another time and another place, there lived another Andrew. In many ways, he was similar to the Andrew of our dimension; witty, suave, with an eye for a yellow shirt and a velvety croon that made the girls go weak at the knees. And yet in certain crucial ways he was... different. Special. The Other Andrew had no hobo gloves.

It's creepy.

Tinos said...

Ooooohhh, about six months ago I was in hospital for a couple days for a drug trial and someone was playing a series of this show on the big TV. I've been trying to find out what it's called ever since!

David Barry said...

Aha, I understand the title. Previously it was blank, hence the url-suggested title of "I was about to begin this post with you".

Andrew said...

Wow. Red Dwarf imitates life imitates a Simpson's episode.....

This is far worse than a mere Mr Sparkle crisis, Mr Coutts. That son of a bitch stole my shirt and my merry band of funeral directors. He may not have the hobo gloves yet ..... but he's after them for his next Greatest Homeless Hits album.....

Also, Ben.... John Bunnett can't be explained. He has to be experienced.....

Ben said...

John Bunnett is a prostitute?

Andrew said...

You have no idea..... how bad an image ..... that put in my head

Nini said...

Aaron, that guy looks like he was asked to smile for a photo after just stealing a glass. Our Andrew would have sense enough to hide it in his jacket.

Andrew said...

Yeah.

Thanks for ..... sticking up for me ..... 'nita.

Dancers_in_Genesis said...

Did you notice that all of his henchmen are about to pull out handguns? This cat doesn't need to hide his glass.

Andrew said...

Perhaps we have stumbled upon the other crucial difference then......

I feel that, were I the one holding the glass, the men in suits behind me would be drawing their guns to shoot me.