Monday, October 8, 2007

An elaborate form of petty theft

People who know me know that I have various modest goals in life. I'd like to be the first person to circum-navigate the moon on a pogo stick. I'd like to beat Gary Kasparov at a game of Battleship.1 I'd like to actually finish reading Don Quixote. I'd like to organise for Kevin Andrews to be made a contestant on the next episode of Survivor: Africa and, further down the line, I'd like to take that stab at world domination - preferrably in a manner involving an elaborate extortion scheme and a death-ray in space. These are all long-term goals, but in the mean-time I think it'd be cool to be able to steal people's wallets by hypnotism. This last goal, apparently, is eminently achieveable. All manner of further hijinks can be found by typing in "Derren Brown" to Youtube. Apparently he has a show on UK tv.

1 I don't know if anyone got this reference to a scene from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey parodying a scene from The Seventh Seal, but I totally dug it.

2 comments:

martin said...

I feel that it is my duty as a bit of a tool to point out that most of the stuff Derren does is just standard magic tricks.
http://www.simonsingh.net/Derren_Brown_Article.html


As to whether this one is real 'psychology', I doubt it. But that youtube video is pretty convincing.

Andrew said...

As long as he really took that guy's wallet and the man in question wasn't in on it, I'm not all that fussed how it was done. I want In!