Friday, August 15, 2008

Marking

To all those who think they know marking pain I would ask the following: Have you ever marked a first year linear algebra exam where they weren't allowed a calculator1? If not, well let me just say that it's still full of the usual "hmm... I have no idea how to do this question, but if I waste the marker's time by asking them to painstakingly verify that this page of formal-looking statements is, in fact, gibberish .... well, this can only bode well for me"-type answers. In addition, you get people who write statements such as : "no calulator! ....1/52 ≈ 1/50, 1/50 ⋅ 102 = 2.04 ... so I'm going to write 1/52 ⋅ 102 as 2.04". Anyways, if ever you find yourself in such a situation I would advise you to do as I have. Print out a small pile of this comic, mark the offending answers down as harshly as your mood takes you, then staple a copy of said comic to their answer sheet.

1Strictly this isn't true. They weren't allowed a graphics calculator, since they were being tested on (amongst other things) Gauss-Jordan elimination. Unfortunately, almost half the class in the exam I was supervising interpreted "not allowed a graphics calculator" to mean "allowed a graphics calculator", and so had to do the exam with no calculator at all. The questions weren't really such that you really needed one .... but there seems to have been an unfortunate correlation between those who owned only a graphics calculator and those who were scared of non-decimal fractions.

9 comments:

Esonlinji said...

Back in my day they didn't allow any calculators, which is why I took a slide rule.

David Barry said...

I took a slide rule into my Year 10 physics prac exam, and used it, since one of my friends forgot his calculator and I lent him mine. My teacher wasn't entirely impressed, but it worked.

Andrew said...

This was a maths exam ..... they can usually be done without calculators on general principle. The matrix they had to find the inverse of was, ahem:

[2, 6, 6;
2, 7, 6;
2, 7, 7]

I'm usually very lenient on arithmetic errors. If I see the wrong answer, but look up the page and they've clearly demonstrated they know what they're doing but have made some number of dumb, nervous, heat-of-an exam arithmetic errors I'm not going to be all that bothered. But hurt my eyes like that .... and you get an xkcd comic, buddy.

Ben said...

Meh...Polar bears swiming is much more interesting.

I've given up on relevant google whoring. So I guess this is more like spam.

Andrew said...

We always appreciate your contributions, Ben....

Ben said...

This is scarier than not having a calculator.

Andrew said...

Yes, yes it is

Ben said...

I know where Andrew will be tomorrow.

Andrew said...

I don't know how you do it, Ben..... always first on the scene with the important stories.