Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Concerning the manner in which our most excellent frog acquired a dvd player, in addition to other events worth relating.

Was having coffee in the maths/comp-sci common room yesterday. Almost as though that alone wasn't enough to pique the interest of the discerning reader1, I happened to overhear a conversation in which the man in the office next to me (who is uncannily like Peter Adams) was attempting to rid himself of a TV set. I volunteered my services. Is this really worth bearing in mind when I relate my brief trivia tale? Perhaps not.

Anyways, Ethel the Frog consisted of a team of but two last night. Myself and another who, for the purposes of our tale, we shall refer to only as Sancho. Actually, we won't be referring to them again at all .... but let's think of them as Sancho, shall we? I know I do.

The questions were substantially harder this week, even without a sports round, and we finished 6th of 11 on 61 /100. Do I remember enough questions for it to be worthwhile to submit a trivia post? Well, no. I did, however, win a draw for a dvd player. Ha ha HA!!!!! It appears that New Zealand, after first making attempts to reject me as a dangerous foreign body2 was now signaling its acceptance by showering me with electrical appliances. So if you're reading this NZ, I've always rather wanted a death-ray and a small army of robot monkeys. Kthnx.

Questions I remember......

Notable gets I can remember:
  1. Which Canadian car company manufactured the DMC-12? Yeah, I didn't think there were Canadian car companies either.....
  2. What country owns the world's largest merchant fleet? Meh.
  3. What land mammal can go for longer without water than the camel?
  4. What fruit do you place in a buck-eye martini?
  5. In poker, what is a hand consisting of both black aces and a pair of eights known as? It's a colloquial title, not the hand rank. I thought, I guess for obvious reasons, that this was a fairly easy question ...... but the room seemed to disagree with me.
Fuck-ups I remember:

  1. What instrument is also known as the 'Cor Anglaise'? This was pretty funny. I don't want you to think I'm stupid for mis-translating the term ..... I inferred the correct translation just fine, thank you very much. I just thought it was a question with an ironic answer so I wrote down 'French Horn' instead.
  2. Name the Rolling Stone who drowned. Sancho should have known this one. Oh, hey, I lied.
  3. The Westinghouse company was founded to manufacture what device that drastically improved rail safety?

1And seriously ..... it's about time that fucker started reading this blog.

2I was stung by unknown insects three times in the first two weeks of being here. I came from fucking Queensland, too.... I mean, I had thought to be leaving things that wanted to sting and bite me behind.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aces and eights is the 'dead man's hand'.

The rest are hard. Some guesses that are almost certainly wrong (in no particular order):

Norway, Ford Canada, stuffed olive, polar bear.

Andrew said...

I like the name, too (based on its being the hand Doc Holiday was holding when shot over a dispute in poker). It's better than dumb shit like 'Anna Kournicova' for holding ace king pre-flop.

Your answeres are: wrong, wrong, right*, wrong.

*I was hoping, along with the host I think, that people would make wild guesses based on thinking that it can't be an olive.

A hint on the car: if you saw it, you'd instantly know the answer.

Andrew said...

All right. Since no-one else seems to care to try..... (sob)..... answers are:

Delorian, Japan, rat, olive, dead man's hand, the English horn, Brian Jones and air brakes.

Adriana said...

I knew all that. Really.

Andrew said...

Yeah, I thought Dave would at least have a laugh at the English horn question.

WOE!!

David Barry said...

I can point out that it's 'cor anglais', with no 'e' on the end.

It's not entirely silly to translate the 'anglais' as 'French'. There's a French expression 'filer à l'anglaise', which in English is 'to take French leave'.

Your other questions were all hard.

Andrew said...

It's only not silly if you know a lot more than I do, then....

In any case, I didn't mis-translate it .... I just thought that maybe both the English and the French were trying to dis-own the horn in question.... which would have been funny.

I was pretty sure 'cor' meant horn based on the word 'cornet' and suchlike.

Adriana said...

Hmmm, yes, Corr means horn. I play one of them, yep yep, I do. I would certainly have known that I don't play the cor anglais.

(I would have responded to this earlier had I actually read your post.)

You say the answer is English horn, but I am dubious. Isn't the cor anglais the oboe, or bassoon?

Andrew said...

Hey, actually .... There's a French expression 'filer à l'anglaise', which in English is 'to take French leave'.

PLEASE tell me that the French expression translates directly as 'to take English leave'.......

You say the answer is English horn, but I am dubious. Isn't the cor anglais the oboe, or bassoon?

nope.

Andrew said...

Although, apparently it is a woodwing instrument and not a horn at all..... fucking English people.....

David Barry said...

More literally it'd be, 'to leave in the English way'.

Andrew said...

YES!!!!!!!!

Adriana said...

Commenty-commenty-comment.

Does this make you happy?

I'm drinking iced coffee.