Wednesday, August 20, 2008

In which our ingenius amphibian is confronted with an obnoxious American.

Trivia posts from me shall henceforth be titled, I have decided, as though they are chapters of Don Quixote. Various other difficulties shall, I feel, present themselves - not least of which being that you don't get to keep your answer sheets where I go (questioning and marking occur simultaneously .... efficient!). This means I have a hard time remembering questions. Which rather defeats the purpose of trivia posts.

Anyways, our evening begins somewhat inauspiciously with el capitano of team Ethel the Frog reserving for his fearless charges the one remaining table in view of the stage - which, as chance would have it, was the table immediately in front of the stage. This was, it turns out, very very bad. Before very long our hero was approached by a random American girl who, declaring team-less-ness, craved that most sought-after of boons: membership in our elite froggy cadre. To my lasting regret, I answered this request with the following fateful words: "yeah, sure, why not?". In a few further moments, the rest of the team arrived.

Said American, whose name shall remain anonymous lest a future news story of disappearance in mysterious circumstances be linked back to me, turned out to be pretty damn annoying when sober. When drunk .... well we settled into the following routine: Team Frog gets the points, Team Frog's drunken American mascot proclaims to all in the room how much more awesomely her team was doing as compared with everyone else's. The top 3 teams receive bar tabs. Prior to the third round we were comfortably in 3rd place. It began to dawn on us that winning a bar tab, however, meant sharing a bar tab.... which would be a badness of truly bad proportions1. It was not without relief, then, that we learned that the last round involved matching television game shows with their hosts. We came a respectable 4th on 82/100.

Notable Gets that I remember getting:

  1. In what sport are the dimensions of the pitch precisely those of the town square of the Iranian city in which it was originally played? Thank you, educated guess. We got 6/10 on a friggin' sport and leisure round. Yay team Frog.
  2. What chemical element is archaically referred to as Brimstone? Notable because I hads to fight tooth and nail for this one.... otherwise not hard, I think/thought.
  3. The dried leaves of which plant are used to dye leather? Probably there were other distinguishing features given in the question, there ... I just don't remember 'em.
Notable fuck-ups I remember fucking up:

  1. Something about an Austrian formula-1 driver involved in a crash in 19 friggin 77. Sorry.
  2. After a cover version of Roy Orbison's "Crying", who was dubbed the voice of the century by the big O? Not that we would have gotten it right otherwise, but our American ring-in somehow convinced us to write 'Steve Tyler' from Aerosmith. She was very convincing. Also very wrong. It was a little like sharing a table with Hazzy-K only not as funny.
  3. Who made their name as the lead singer of a group called 'The Miracles' in the 1960s?
Probably there are better ones. I just don't remember 'em.

P.S. a big hello back to Anita, Sam, Geoff and Adriana. I were asleep. Sorry.

P.P.S. I'm a little curious to know the names of both individuals who voted for Full Metal Jacket.

P.P.P.S. Does having both P.S. s and footnotes seem odd to anyone else? Only it does to me.

1My little tribute to Dave.......

14 comments:

Andrew said...

And, incidentally, if you're reading this .... Chicago is not windier than Wellington.

We checked.

Geoff said...

Firstly Fitz, who were these other people in your trivia team? Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo perhaps?

Secondly, I voted for Full Metal Jacket of my own volition and certainly not because I was coerced in any way.

Andrew said...

ZOMFG!! You know Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo too ?!?!?!?!?!

And as far as I'm concerned ....... yeah, Full Metal Jacket has one legitimate vote that I know of.

Andrew said...

P.S. I'm touched you thought I could get 82/100 on my own.

Andrew said...

P.P.S. GEORFF!!! Where you been, man?

Andrew said...

P.P.P.S. Methinks I shall endeavor to beat Chris' comment counts by numerous gratuitous self-postings.

Geoff said...

Where have I been? Well, you know I am an avid reader of myblogisanotherblog but I wouldn't want to cheapen my comments as blogger currency. On the other hand, I see that you have no such reluctance.

David Barry said...

I'm glad you liked my turn of phrase, though 'bad' is a cheap knockoff of 'disaster'. I knew that it was good and memorable.

Nini said...

Firstly, The P.S.s and footnotes: yes. I think it could have done with more footnotes.

Secondly, Brimstone = Sulfur?

Finally, Hello.

Andrew said...

Sulfur is correct.

Nini said...

Is it straight sulfur or a sulfur compound?

Timothy said...

I know Don McLean did a cover of Crying.

Andrew said...

So where the fuck were you on Tuesday, then Tim? Being in two places at once should pose no serious problems for someone who's magic.

On sulfur: as far as I can tell the term 'brimstone' well and truly predates the time when 'straight sulfur' and 'sulfur compound' were meaningful terms .... as does the word 'sulfur' anyway, I think.....

Toffeeapple said...

I <3 hearing about Ethel...