Thursday, April 16, 2009

In which I am in Mourning.

I have lost, dear reader, some very good friends of mine and wish to default to the (paraphrased) words of a soul greater than mine to express my resulting sorrow...
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Behold my cold bare hands! Let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes drone up high at public cost
Scribbling on the sky the message They are Lost
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves1.

They were my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought my gloves would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
A few days ago, dear читатель, when the weather had gotten sufficiently cold & windy, I sought out the welcoming warm embrace of some old friends. I have not until now felt strong enough to relay to you the following truth: Alas! Alack! Woe and despair, they were nowhere to be found! However shall I now survive the winter? Without them, I am not sure I want to....

1Dual Fingerless gloves/mittens, of course. As a sign of respect.

4 comments:

Sam said...

first!

Geoff said...

Foolish Fitz,

When you packed to leave for Australia you thoughtlessly tossed your precious Dual Fingerless gloves/mittens into your luggage. I told you at the time 'twas foolish for a Brisbane summer is no place for Dual Fingerless gloves/mittens. Alas, you suffered the fate dealt to everyone who ignores my sage advice. I put it to you that Brisbane was the final resting place of your Dual Fingerless gloves/mittens. They were never meant to be on this side of the Tasman.

Might I suggest you sooth your soul with some passages of the Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam that I gave you.

Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam is declared to be the essence of all Vedānta philosophy. One who has felt satisfaction from its nectarean mellow will never be attracted to any other literature.

Andrew said...

I think that maybe they were just too good to be in this world, myself. Whilst not on my hands, they ascended to heaven.

Amazing! That single paragraph alone was sufficient to make me not want to read anything else ever again.....

Adriana said...

This post is no longer accurate.

It irks me.