Thursday, December 6, 2007

I'd Like to Buy Some Tabouli (touch nose)

It has come to my attention that, on a regular basis, unknown individuals contact my place of work to place orders for large quantities of tabouli. I can only assume, since I work for a geostatistics consultancy, that this is an error on their part. I bring this up because it seems , to me, a little odd that tabouli is the only foodstuff they ever order. Never anything else. Never even any other type of salad. Just tabouli. Large quantities of tabouli.

This has led me to the inescapable conclusion that somewhere there exists a warehouse in which there is a phone manned by a tall unwashed hippy named Leon. Leon's associates, following (almost?) having their fingers burned over that unfortunate Schapelle Corby affair have happily discovered an alternate means by which to both package their goods and cloak telephone conversations with an air of legitimacy. They now deal in crates the top section of which contains a thin layer of tabouli. Beneath this layer, however, the crate is packed densely with ..... "tabouli".

In any case, if anyone out there is looking to score a large quantity of "tabouli", it may be fruitful to try a few likely mis-dialings of the number of my employer. You should be warned, however, that your efforts may in fact end in your possession of far more of an arabic salad dish than you could possibly hope to eat.

9 comments:

Ben said...

I think those phone calls are another ploy by the dentist to make you crazy.

Ben said...

It's hard for nerds to keep up with the cool people and their cool talk. So when I'm in a spot of bother I turn to the net in particular, the urban dictionary. Unfortunately it didn't help me in finding out if tabouli was a synonym for on the street, but apparently the cool people can spell it strangely. However, I do know the meanings of roll thick, hobosexual and phone grope now.

Andrew said...

I expected Roll Thick to be more dirty, phone grope to be a little more closely related to phone sex, and a hobosexual to be someone who showed a preference for sex with homeless people. I was disappointed on all counts.

I've long thought the urban dictionary to contain an awful lot of stuff someone just made up, too. My new mission in life is to try and get the least plausible piece of slang I can think of published and maintained there. I am open to suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I never knew about the Urban dictionary.

This has opened up a whole new plane for time wasting.

Andrew said...

It's so good to hear that my major vehicle for time wasting aids others in wasting time also......

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if you are allowed to swear on the internet, but when looking on Urban Dictionary I noticed 'let's f**k this puppy' is undefined. I really thought it was a common saying. Maybe it is so common it is now in the OED. I'm going to check...

Anonymous said...

Nope. It's not there.

But the work of the day is Nutty meaning: Resembling a nut or nuts in flavour, colour.

Thanks OED.

Hewhoblogs said...

Fitz, my first born would tell you to fuck off and get the trivia sheet.

Andrew said...

You fail, Chris, to take into account the electrodes which shall be attached to the unfortunate child's scrotum. Such impudence will be punished in a cruel and wildly disproportionate manner.

Two surprises from the Wock camp: firstly, that let's "fuck this puppy" is not to be found on the urban dictionary. My job here is clear. Secondly, we learn a strange new meaning of the word "nutty".

My blog is nothing if not educational.