Sunday, October 12, 2008

The end is nigh? Don't be silly.

There's an election a-comin' up in New Zealand which, I have to confess, I have neither been following nor thought about all that much. This is, as my office-mate points out to me, rather silly in that it is probably going to have more of a direct effect upon my life than that of the upcoming U.S. election which I have been following, and which scares me a great deal. Or at least, it used to dear reader. And, strangely enough, it was Andrew Bolt who made me see the light on this one.

You see, up until now, my sympathies very much lay with Sam Harris' appraisal of the situation. I found, amongst other things, the thought that a half-witted pentecostal who looks rapturously forward to the end of days is reasonably likely to, in a few short years, possess nuclear launch codes to be a little disquieting. But Bolt has forced me to re-think my opinions on Sarah Palin. Yesm. Allow me to illustrate. Take, for instance, the following (and I beg some indulgence here) video:



Now, if you're like me, you probably thought that Kellie Pickler was pretty stupid based on this video. Be honest, now, you did. Well then, Mr Clever-Dick, feast your eyes upon this one.

Pretty confronting, right? Clearly, Kellie Pickler isn't stupid at all.

Feel better now? I know I do......

2 comments:

Esonlinji said...

I love the expression on the kid while the woman is talking about the question. And Jeff Foxworthy was really trying to help her. But my god, she is dumb. Europe is a country? Great Scott.

I'm willing to give the Japanese guy a lot more slack because anything is tougher in a foreign language, especially if you haven't studied it. It took me quite a while to be able to count just to ten in Korean because I didn't try to learn.

Andrew said...

Precisely my point ;)

Bolt's video shows a prime-ministerial candidate to whom English is a second language struggling with tenses after being offered a poorly worded (and, under the interpretation Dion seems to be assuming, rather stupid - hence the confusion) question. I'm not saying Dion isn't stupid - for all I know he is - but on closer inspection the posted video gives us no more reason to assume so than it necessarily does with the Japanese guy.

Kellie Pickler's intelligence, on the other hand, we have reasonable grounds for doubting. So, too, Sarah Palin.